Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Nice To Know Alabama Doesn't Have A Lock On Politicians Being Goofy

My brother told me about this. Seems Paul Hellyer, Canada's Defence Minister from 1963-67, gave a speech this past September where he claimed that UFO's - meaning alien spaceships - were as "real as the airplanes that fly over your head". He also said that not only do the world's governments know about aliens among us, but the U.S. in particular has been gearing up for a potential conflict. Mr. Hellyer said he was moved to speak on the subject at a recent speech given at the University of Toronto because "so concerned about what the consequences might be of starting an intergalactic war".
Like we don't have enough problems to worry about these days. Personally, I agree with Bill Waterson, and the most compelling proof of intelligent life out there in the cosmos is that they've avoided us like Tom DeLay avoids an ethics probe.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Sean said...

Why do you dismiss Hellyer's comments so assuredly? How do you know there are not other intelligent beings in the universe? A lot of scientists think if other intelligent life does exist it may be as much as a billion years older than humans. I happen to think Hellyer is either telling the truth, or he is a Canadian or American spy engaging in disinformation.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Backslider said...

Sean,
Personally, I think it's highly possible there is life elsewhere in the universe. I suppose I should have specified that. It's just the idea there's some sort of vast, worldwide conspiracy "covering up the truth" that I really don't swallow. Considering the nearest star that possibly has a planet that may be able to support intelligent life is something like 200 light years away (which means it takes light from said star over 200 years to get here), I think it's more likely that, if it exists, intelligent life hasn't gotten around to getting ahold of us yet, much less manage to find themselves among us. Occam's razor, in other words, tells me it's possible, just not very likely. And that's not even getting to the idea that the world's government, much less the US government, has its stuff together in such a way to keep such a monumental revelation a complete and total secret.

Plus, the guy's story just trips my bullshit detector, but I can't offer any scientifically valid reason for that. It's the same way the tennets of Scientology trips the detector. Either way, I'd want to see a whole lot more proof before I'm willing to buy Hellyer's statements.

He may very well be telling the truth, but I think it's a bit presumptuous to expect me to believe just his word alone.

8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In his Doozer voice;

Well, for one thing, any ET civilization a billion years older tham H Sap isn't gonna care much about backwards specimens like us. Except maybe to eat, or snicker at, or if maybe they need all our water, or something...
But if they were to show up here, they'd damn well be advanced enough that we would never know it, and if by some insane bit of luck we found out, there would be fuckall we could do about it, anyway. So I, for one, welcome our fun-loving alien gourmet overlords. Drinks are on us!

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home